– P R E S S R E L E A S E –
Name Change for Long Island City Studio, New Director, Editor, Printer
Long Island City, NY, USA, August 24, 2016
With new faces at the studio, and a series of events upcoming in 2016, a significant update to our new website www.tonyvaccaro.studio, the Michael A Vaccaro Studio has itself been renamed the Tony Vaccaro Studio. This is a nod to the world-renowned photographer’s more popular appellation. Born Michelantonio in 1922, Tony was Mickey as a toddler before becoming Tony at school. The US Army refused to accept the long first name in 1943, and re-Christened him: Michael Anthony Vaccaro, the name Tony used for Look Magazine.
- Kulbinder Garcha joins as an investor and Managing Partner. Kulbinder, a graduate of St John’s College, Cambridge, brings almost twenty years of equity research bulge bracket investment banking experience to the studio and will advise on strategic direction, finance and business development.
- Manolo Salas is our new senior editor. A product of the LaGuardia College photography department, Salas is a master of Adobe digital platforms, and combines cutting edge image processing speed with an old-school aesthetic appreciation. Salas has traveled extensively for his own photography, through Asia and the Caribbean, and photographs artists who share his Dominican roots.
- Alessandro Berni, from the contemporary art gallery in Perugia, Italy, has come aboard to lead sales into 2017. Berni, who directs communications and all social media for the Hydra Art Project, promises to make Tony a household name with his mix of sharp on-line image presentation and pop-up galleries right here in New York City.
- Maria Vaccaro, Tony’s daughter-in-law, continues twenty-two years after first working as Tony’s darkroom assistant. She joins the studio full-time after maternity leave to give Tony two grand sons. Maria was born in Eastern Slovakia – then Czechoslovakia – in 1975, and graduated from Hunter College in 2002.
The superbly reviewed “Shots of Life” exhibition in the Ville de Caen, France, closes on August 28th, 2016. The 90 prints will be delivered to Tony’s museum in Bonefro, Italy, and will hereafter comprise the permanent collection there. (See Caen Exhibition for more details ).
Tony Vaccaro Studio, 44-02 23rd Street, Suite 516, Long Island City, NY 11101
Contact: Frank Vaccaro
Tony Vaccaro Studio
USA (718) 361-5980